Monday, February 17, 2014

11. My First DNF - And I'm OK with It

DNF

Did
Not
Finish

The Winter Trail Night Marathon

I have prided myself in being stubborn enough to have finished each of the events I have entered since becoming a "runner." This past weekend, I was humbled, but not humiliated. But more importantly, I still had FUN. Here's the 4-strikes-and-yer-out run down.
  • It was WINTER. Running a marathon in the winter is an interesting challenge. As a result of my recent experiences, I have an even greater respect for the race directors and all of their good work. When you sign up for a winter marathon, chances are it is still warm and sunny out. In fact, this year's Planet Adventure Winter Trail Night Marathon had to be postponed because the weather on the original date in January dipped into dangerous territory with extreme cold and wind chills. Winter also brings with it the chance for snow -- and we have had more than our share this season in Indiana.
  • It was on a TRAIL. I love trail running, but I have to confess, it is harder to get in as many trail miles during the winter, so I have to recognize that a trail run in the winter is going to beat me up a bit more than it would in more favorable weather.
  • It was at NIGHT. Actually, this was one of the reasons I signed up for this one. I love running at night. And with a good headlamp, I had not troubles seeing the trail and avoiding hazards. However, running at night ... on a trail ... in the winter ... does require a certain level of mental diligence. There is little chance that you will find a rhythm and "zone out" like you might on a smooth surface in the daylight (for me at least).
  • It was a MARATHON. Despite the inevitable person who will ask how long your marathon was, there is no such thing as a short one. We all know that it's going to be 26.2 miles when we toe the line. And that distance demands respect.
Put all of these factors together, add in my slow pace even in good conditions, and it became obvious to me midway through the second of four loops on the trail that I was unlikely to make the cut-off to begin the fourth loop. I quietly pondered my conundrum over a couple of miles, and admitted to myself that there was no shame in 13.1 miles. Plus, since the race had been rescheduled from three weeks prior, my next marathon was only a week away, and I didn't want to risk injury leading into that one -- especially since there may be a chance to attempt my first-ever double, two marathons in two days. So, as the Terminator said, "I'll be back!"

Repeat After Me: Nothing New On Race Day

We've all heard the adage in the running community:

"Nothing new on race day." 

When something doesn't feel right on a short run, we may utter a few expletives and then just not take the same approach on the next time out. But if the same occurs on a marathon, you have to deal with it for hours (several hours, in my case).

In anticipation of the trail conditions and knowing the area had received a heavy snow the day before the race, I decided to pick up a set of traction aids for the shoes. I looked at the more common YakTrax, but decided that I could feel the coils through the shoes too easily and thought that would become a source of discomfort over the course of the marathon. I went with the DueNorth brand that felt better underfoot (in the store). What I had not anticipated, however, was that the portion of the strap that crossed over at the front of the foot created a blister factor across the top of all five toes on each foot. After ten miles they had to come off and I just dealt with whatever traction I had, which still wasn't too bad in my Altra Lone Peaks. My toes still hurt, but they will be fine for this weekend's marathon(s).

The Other Abs

One of the things about running on trails is that it really demands some good core strength as you work to stay upright over a surface that may not be very upright itself. And, if the surface is such that your feet would like to go in undesirable directions as they make contact with the slick ground, it takes no small amount of muscle control to keep them under you. This is where the abs come in. No, not those abs. I'm talking about the hip abductor muscles that you use to pull your legs together. Even stopping at the half marathon mark, I took somewhere in the neighborhood of 25,000 steps, nearly every one of them on a surface that required some level of response from these abductors to keep myself upright and moving forward. Whether it is snow, mud, debris, or slope, these abs are what will keep you on the trail. And after the mud of the Tecumseh Trail Marathon and the snow of the Winter Night Trail Marathon, these abs are telling me that they need some better attention if I am going to become a better trail runner.
Image from http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/08/suppversity-emg-series-gluteaus-maximus.html


On the Horizon

My next two or three marathons are going to be a decidedly different experience. February 22-23, I will be at the Maple Leaf Indoor Marathons in Goshen. Indiana. And, while I don't expect terrain to be a significant factor, 208 laps on an indoor running track will come with its own unique set of challenges. For this one, I am confirmed for Sunday and on standby for Saturday. If a Saturday space opens up, it will be my first shot at a double - two marathons in two days - and 4-star Marathon Maniac status. In March, I'm off to the Circular Logic Marathon in Lafayette, Indiana. Again, terrain should not be a factor with a generally flat 1-mile loop course. These just sounded fun. Besides, they fit my travel budget. After that I look forward to taking it back to the streets and trails for the regular season of running.

Up Next: Doubling Up

No comments:

Post a Comment